you're reading...
Child Support, Custody, Grandparents

Home From the War to Find A Child Was Born


A couple have an affair. The man leaves for Iraq. While he’s gone the woman has his child. For whatever reasons she doesn’t tell him. She gives the child to her parents to raise. Four years later the man returns from Iraq and learns he has a child. He immediately quit his job and moved closer to his child. He started paying child support. He visited as often as allowed. The grandparents filed for custody of the child. What happens? Does the father get custody of the child or the grandparents?

In Jones v. Russell, the N.C. Court of Appeals held that the father had not acted inconsistently with his rights as a parent. This is important because the constitution provides parents with superior rights to their children. If a parent acts inconsistent with those rights by abandoning the child, abusing the child, or neglecting the child they may lose the superior standard. The court considers several factors and the determination is made on a case-by-case basis. In this case the Court held that the father had not acted inconsistently and therefore the court did not have to consider the best interest of the child standard which you sometimes hear about in custody cases. The father of the child was awarded custody and the grandparents were awarded visitation.

About McIlveen Family Law Firm

The McIlveen Family Law Firm handles all types of divorce and family law cases.



  1. Pingback: It’s Always “What is in the Best Interest of the Child” « Gastonia Family Law - December 13, 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


%d bloggers like this: